Can Biden beat Trump?

Thornbird

Forum Admin
Phoenix, Arizona
I am curious what people who support any opponent against Trump may use in the general election to defeat him outside of the partisan bickering points.

New Haven, CT
Things that Biden supports/endorses that I agree with:
Abolish Capital Punishment
End Cash Bailouts
Scrap Cocaine Sentencing Disparities
Eliminate Mandatory Sentences
Eliminate Private Prisons
Raise Minimum Wage to $15
Support for Paid Family and Sick Leave
Against For Profit Charter Schools
Two Years College Should Be Free
Expand Debt Relief Programs
Boost Teacher Pay
End Unlimited Campaign Financing
Support Developing New Nuclear Technologies as Part of Effort to Fight Climate Change
End New Oil and Gas Leases on Federal Land and Off Shore Drilling
Pay Farmers to Adopt Climate-Friendly Practices
Expand Farm Worker Protections
Support a Voluntary Buy Back Program
Universal Background Checks
National Firearm Registry
Pro-Choice with Limitations
Build on the ACA's Foundations
Link Drug Costs to Overseas Prices
Expand Medicare Coverage
Support DACA
Leave Illegal Entry Statute in Place
Pay for Infrastructure Through Changing Taxes on Corporations and Wealthy
Scrapping Past Pot Convictions
Increase Capital Gains Tax
Raise Corporate Taxes, But Keep Rates Lower Than Before 2017
Increase Taxes on Upper Income Americans
Support the USMCA
Don't Use Tariff to Pressure/Threaten Countries

Things Biden supports/endorses that I don't agree with:
Reparations (He hasn't said that he actually endorses them, but that he is willing to 'study' them. I'm against them)
Let the States Decide on Legalizing Marijuana (I think it should be legalized nationally)
Boost the Defense Budget (We already spend 16 times the top other 6 nations combined. We spend enough)
Keep the Troops Deployed (This needs more analysis. Some places, yes. But some places they should be brought home)
Dedicate Open Ended Federal Funding to Support Rural Broadband (NO)
Consider Holding Companies Legally Liable for User Posts (I'm not completely clear on this issue - but my gut says NO)

I am far more in line with his agenda than against it.

And far more in favor of him than Trump.

Thornbird

Forum Admin
Phoenix, Arizona
That's fine but the question is what issues can be used in the general election that could defeat Trump.

All things considered, he has had a fairly successful four years. In fact, if you knew nothing about the presidents other than what their results were during their terms, most people would put his presidency near the top in terms of success.

The key here is, given that success, how will a Biden or Sanders convince people that they can do better?

Off the bat I would give the democrats healthcare since the republicans botched that and that is the number one issue with Americans so that's a big thing but I don't see much else after that.

Can't really use the economy since that's been breaking records....
Can't really use pulling us out of wars since Trump is already trying that....
Climate change is still a dead horse not worth basing an election result on...
Trying to run on tearing down the wall to let more illegals in would be a laughable concept and not within reality if a person wants to win...
Saying you want to end the "trade war" and go back to the unfair trade practices we had is not going to win an election....

The point here is that the democrats need some solid issues to present to the people that are in contrast to what Trump are doing and that can produce greater results. Outside of healthcare I really don't see any.

New Haven, CT
I think the big five are Healthcare / Public Education - which Trump is attempting to dismantle / Pro-Choice with limitations / Tax Increases on Corporations and the Wealthy / He's not Trump - which can't be negated.

Interestingly enough - these are the most important things for which I would vote for him - and except for the last, not a single one affects me personally!

Thornbird

Forum Admin
Phoenix, Arizona
The last Gallop poll has it as this:
1. Healthcare
2. Terrorism
3. Guns
4. Education
5. Economy

Prior to that the economy was a solid second but considering it's been good for so long it appears not to be a concern. Healthcare is tops because of our aging population so that makes sense. I was surprised that guns and education are in the top five however.

Either way, if I were advising Biden I would say that he should focus on healthcare, with a solid plan, and education since they really have no play with the other three issues. In fact, Biden said he would put O'Rourke in charge of guns who has said that he wants to go door to door and forcibly remove weapons.

Not a good start with such an important issue. Biden will either have to walk that back, which will be embarrassing, or double down on it because Trump is going to hit him with it.

New Haven, CT
I still think the biggest asset that any other candidate has is that he's not Trump. With over half the country loathing him, it doesn't bode well.

Thornbird

Forum Admin
Phoenix, Arizona
I still think the biggest asset that any other candidate has is that he's not Trump. With over half the country loathing him, it doesn't bode well.
That hate isn't really warranted. Much of it has been fueled by the press and when I speak to some people and ask them to list why they hate him they can't actually come up with anything solid. Heck, Biden just called a citizen a dumbass and nobody cared but if Trump did then people would say that's a reason to hate him because the press would report on it non-stop.

New Haven, CT
Oh, puhleeze. LOL Trump has insulted people and called them names for the past five years - non-stop! LOL LOL LOL

Thornbird

Forum Admin
Phoenix, Arizona
Oh, puhleeze. LOL Trump has insulted people and called them names for the past five years - non-stop! LOL LOL LOL
Biden has done it far longer yet isn't scrutinized ever by the left for his comments.

You don't think that is a double standard?

New Haven, CT
I have never ever read/heard anything by Trump that comes close to the vicious, ugly, nasty, hateful things said by Trump - nor NEAR the NUMBERS OF TIMES.

So, the answer to your question is no.

Thornbird

Forum Admin
Phoenix, Arizona
I have never ever read/heard anything by Trump that comes close to the vicious, ugly, nasty, hateful things said by Trump - nor NEAR the NUMBERS OF TIMES.

So, the answer to your question is no.
I am not sure what comments you are referring to exactly but I think Biden has been worse because he is showing his underlying racism in them.

Thornbird

Forum Admin
Phoenix, Arizona
absolutely absurd
His comments about needing an Indian accent to go into 7-11?

What would you think if Trump had said that?

How about his opposition to bussing?

How about his support for the criminal justice laws that have locked up thousands of minorities for minor crimes?

Or what about his racist answer in the debates?

New Haven, CT
I am sure you don't need a list of the offensive things Trump has said and/or done.

The owner of the site would have to buy extra bandwidth.

Thornbird

Forum Admin
Phoenix, Arizona
I am sure you don't need a list of the offensive things Trump has said and/or done.

The owner of the site would have to buy extra bandwidth.
He's said things taken out of context by the media, I agree with that. That take snippets and run with it and plaster it 24/7 until people believe it's the truth. Even so, anyone in the public spotlight as much as a politician is will eventually utter something they would like to take back. What you need to look at is their history of actions and Biden is certainly on the wrong side of the tracks on that debate.

Heck, he lied about getting arrested in South Africa, like we couldn't double check that very easily.

He's either very dumb or thinks his voters are so dumb that it doesn't matter what he says.

New Haven, CT
He's either very dumb or thinks his voters are so dumb that it doesn't matter what he says.
I thought you were talking about Biden, not Trump. No?

man-laughing.jpg

Frankly, I will never understand why his cult followers will continue to defend and wear blinders when it comes to Trump. Is it because they just can't bring themselves to admit (even to their themselves) that they made the most ghastly mistake in the history of America? With all the PROVEN lies and distortions and complete fabrications the conman has spewed forth (and with alarming regularity - like every time he opens his mouth!), you all will still rush to defend this creep. Go ahead - defend his fraudulent university, conning thousands of students out of their money. Go ahead - defend him stealing from charities. Oh, hell - go ahead and defend any of this thousands and thousands of publicly shown lies. It's hopeless. Out of context my right butt cheek.

Thornbird

Forum Admin
Phoenix, Arizona
None of what you just listed has anything to do with his performance as president and that seems to be the big point you are missing.

I did not vote for Trump to be my moral guidance counselor but to be an effective president and he has been. He is breaking records in all areas and that is a good thing.

It should also be noted that the democrats are hardly putting up saints to run against him and they all come with their own heaps of garbage.

New Haven, CT
This is another example of why we can't have this discussion. You don't find defrauding poor students and stealing from charities to be a negative thing in the leader of a nation.

I do. Greatly.

It's why we'll never be able to discuss this with each other. I DO believer there is a moral benchmark for being President of the United States. You don't. I find that shameful.

Thornbird

Forum Admin
Phoenix, Arizona
Good luck on ever finding a moral person.

You might as well not even bother voting if that is the standard you hold people to.

New Haven, CT
I believe that we have had moral people in office.

I don't expect saints. I expect a modicum of human decency.

Trump doesn't have it.

It's clear that's fine with you. That appalls me. But, whatever floats your boat.

And I'm sure you think he's doing a fine job. You probably will untll your grandkids start dying of coronavirus because we didn't have test kits available like most of the modern western world. But, hey! the rich people got a tax break - so that's all cool. I know, I know, I know.