Trump's Possible Contempt Count Matters As Much As Rest of Impeachment Case

New Haven, CT
The factual centerpiece of the impeachment counts under consideration in the House will no doubt be the administration’s corrupt holdup of Ukraine to advance President Trump’s personal political interests, which the past two weeks have laid bare, witness by devastating witness.

But an additional possible count — based on the White House campaign to undermine and obstruct the impeachment investigation itself — is just as important to the health of our democracy, if not more so. And the case for that count is clear.

The hearings did not plow through the extensive evidence of this obstructive conduct, nor was there any need to, since it has all been undertaken in plain view.

But we nevertheless should not lose sight of it. It represents an abuse of power that if allowed to stand would warp and damage the U.S. constitutional structure no less than the grave abuses involving Ukraine.

The offense here is rock-solid on the facts and the law.

The legal theory is straightforward and compelling. Impeachment is the mechanism that the Constitution provides for the most grave abuse of the president’s responsibilities. If the president himself can frustrate that singular remedy, it fundamentally alters the separation of powers and ultimately places the president above effective constitutional control.

It’s also historically well grounded. In 1974, the third count that the House Judiciary Committee returned against President Richard M. Nixon alleged that he had acted in contempt of Congress by willfully disobeying congressional subpoenas that the Judiciary Committee needed to conduct its investigation.

During the hearings last week, Rep. Adam B. Schiff (D-Calif.), the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, expressly invoked that precedent as he warned the administration, and the State Department in particular, about the unilateral withholding of testimony and documents that could shed light on the case. “I remind the president that Article III of the impeachment articles drafted against President Nixon was his refusal to obey the subpoenas of Congress,” he said.

Trump’s conduct in support of an obstruction count has been flagrant. In blocking a series of subpoenas in the spring, the president announced: “We’re fighting all the subpoenas.” He justified his stonewalling based on an assertion that Congress’s demands were political and “ridiculous.” And true to his word, the president has issued a series of countermands to congressional subpoenas and requests, arbitrarily demanding noncompliance from a series of witnesses, often on the basis of preposterous legal arguments.

It’s worth noting that Nixon’s impeachable conduct was far more tempered than Trump’s has been. Scrambling for his survival, Nixon played a finesse, trying to force a compromise with Congress. The eight subpoenas from Congress called for tapes of 147 conversations and a series of documents. Nixon responded by producing edited transcripts of some of the conversations and a summary of other notes, then went on television to justify his approach to the American people.

By including this conduct in its Watergate impeachment counts, Congress asserted its authority to determine what it needed to pursue its lawful responsibility.

much more - and video at the link to the original article LINK

If the Congress is to retain the power to investigate, impeach and remove the president, the attempted scuttling of the investigation must be taken as an assault on the Constitution — and an impeachable offense in its own right.

Southern California
Whatever complaints democommiecrats come up with the public has no interest in hearing. At this point, all the daily whines are doing is giving Trump more money. The DNC is broke. Donors have dried up. They have barely 8 million dollars to the RNCs 400 million and Trump's campaign chest of 250 million and rising.

We expected democommiecrats to come up with more and more nonsense. It looks like they are left with only two options; outright war or assassinations. It's all they have left as they cannot win the 2020 election.

New Haven, CT
Whatever complaints democommiecrats come up with the public has no interest in hearing. At this point, all the daily whines are doing is giving Trump more money. The DNC is broke. Donors have dried up. They have barely 8 million dollars to the RNCs 400 million and Trump's campaign chest of 250 million and rising.

We expected democommiecrats to come up with more and more nonsense. It looks like they are left with only two options; outright war or assassinations. It's all they have left as they cannot win the 2020 election.
man-laughing.jpg

Southern California
Democommiecrats have to come up with new "what ifs" every day because impeachment is going away.

Meanwhile Shiftless Schiff vows that he has many more investigstions planned. Unless he is voted out of office. Which is far more likely.

Pennsylvania
LOL on that Tristan. I'm not saying they won't end up reprimanding an innocent president. I'm saying the whole thing is a joke. The HoRs think he is under their power and must do their bidding. He isn't. There is a little thing called the separation of powers.

Pennsylvania
If the Congress is to retain the power to investigate, impeach and remove the president, the attempted scuttling of the investigation must be taken as an assault on the Constitution — and an impeachable offense in its own right.
Tristan, this is the HoRs. They don't have any more power than the others. In fact, they have no power to do much except build what they think is a case that will be upheld in the Senate. Other than that, they don't have any power to tell any country what to do. The president is supposed to deal with other countries. That's their issue, too. They are angry because he did it his way instead of theirs. They want to sit him in the corner for a time out. It's a shame the can't figure out their jobs and do them, instead.

Southern California
LOL on that Tristan. I'm not saying they won't end up reprimanding an innocent president. I'm saying the whole thing is a joke. The HoRs think he is under their power and must do their bidding. He isn't. There is a little thing called the separation of powers.
Throughout the rather laughable hearings the overriding theme was Trump was ignoring their foreign policy. The president sets foreign policy. Not them.

Southern California
There will be a censure. Shifty Schiff will announce more investigations. Democrats will then spank democommiecrats into the next century

Pennsylvania
There will be a censure. Shifty Schiff will announce more investigations. Democrats will then spank democommiecrats into the next century
We can only hope for the latter. A censure is easy to get. There are no real laws, but guidelines, same a child support. It's all up to the emotional response of those in the position to make a determination. Meh, who cares...

Southern California
The only criminal behavior and ethical misbehavior is on the part of the democommiecrats. Some democrats and more independents are done with the kabuki theater.

New Haven, CT
You really have to pay attention to what's going on. You're beginning(?) to look like a three year old having a temper tantrum.

Pennsylvania
How pathetic is it that we have sunk so low as a nation we don't care if the President of our country is censured/condemned by the governing body for criminal and ethical behavior.

dear god, I do.
They have no proof of criminal behavior. The HoRs are out of their minds. They completely lost their marbles. They've made us a joke. Look at the candidates for president they've got. Electing any one of them would crush this fine nation. But hey, there is nothing I can do about it. I only have one vote while they have at least two or three each.

New Haven, CT
They have no proof of criminal behavior.NOT TRUE The HoRs are out of their minds.NOT AT ALL They completely lost their marbles. NOPEThey've made us a joke.THAT'S THE WAY THEY FOUND THE GOP Look at the candidates for president they've got. SOME QUITE GOOD AND QUALIFIED PEOPLEElecting any one of them would crush this fine nation.NOWHERE NEAR WHAT THE FAT ORANGE TURD HAS DONE But hey, there is nothing I can do about it. I only have one vote while they have at least two or three each. YOU'RE DELUSIONAL
You've been watching too much Faux News - you have to get out of the Trump bubble and breathe some reality into your life.

Pennsylvania
You've been watching too much Faux News - you have to get out of the Trump bubble and breathe some reality into your life.
The fat orange man has done more good for this country than any president in the past 50 years. I used to work the elections. I know what they do. They tried with me and I turned their ass in.